JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
Legal Department Description:
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation. The department also includes the Office of the Secretary (“OTS”).
Legal is organized by Practice Groups that conform to the organization of the Firm’s lines of business (LOBs) and corporate staff areas, allowing the legal staff to work closely with specific groups on a daily basis. Each line of business has an LOB General Counsel, who is the Practice Group Head and who reports to the Firm’s General Counsel. This structure provides the means for the legal teams to communicate legal and regulatory changes to the businesses and staff areas, and for the LOBs and staff areas to communicate business developments that have legal or regulatory implications to the legal teams in a timely manner.
Legal Chief Operating Office (“Legal COO”) Function Description:
The Legal COO helps attorneys make the best use of their time by providing centralized services and tools to: i) develop professional skills, ii) manage projects and achieve business objectives, iii) optimize processes and technology, and iv) engage and connect employees. Further, the Legal COO helps the Legal Management Team establish and execute the department’s objectives by driving and supporting initiatives to: i) implement firmwide standards and governance, ii) provide financial discipline and risk controls, iii) guide the people agenda and iv) drive best practices.
Legal Practices Group Description:
The Legal Practices Group is part of the Legal COO function. Responsibilities of the Legal Practices Group include:
- Partnering with Legal staff to define, document and redesign policies and procedures; conduct benchmark studies, identify gaps in processes, and monitor action plans
- Providing operational support across Legal, including real estate management, support for key applications, intranet management, end-user technology management, legal research, publication subscription management, SharePoint development and maintenance, employee on-boarding and off-boarding
- Provide concierge support services to the Legal department, globally
We are currently seeking a Legal Operations Associate to manage the business continuity process resiliency plans throughout the Legal department and across all regions. This includes an annual review of resiliency plans; review and update call tree plans at a minimum every six months; test primary recovery strategy annually review resiliency plans and participate in annual firm-wide risk-based testing exercises. Represent Legal during Regional Crisis Management Team (RCMT) and Site Incident Management Team (SIMT) meetings – calls held during an emergency, natural disaster, JPMC site issues, and major political and world events. In addition, assist Control Officer with development, implementation and ongoing maintenance of Risk & Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) common processes in accordance with policies and standards. This would include all aspects of the RCSA lifecycle: risk and control identification, risk assessment and ranking, control validation and rating, and reporting and analysis of results. This position will also be responsible for end user technology management responsible for enforcing governance and controls for all Legal department employee end user technology orders (equipment and software), serving as Legal’s Approval Central administrator (assigning approval limits and reporting), and managing email exceptions.
Annual review of resiliency plans
Review and update call tree plans, at a minimum every six months
Test primary recovery strategy annually
Review resiliency plans and participate in annual firm-wide risk-based testing exercises
Represent Legal during Regional Crisis Management Team (RCMT) and Site Incident Management Team (SIMT) meetings – calls held during an emergency, natural disaster, JPMC site issues, and major political and world events
End user technology management responsible for enforcing governance and controls for all Legal department employee end user technology orders (equipment and software)
Serving as Legal’s Approval Central administrator (assigning approval limits and reporting)
Email exception administration
Other duties as assigned by direct manager
- Previous experience in Audit, Compliance, Business Resiliency or other control function desired
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Inquisitive and proactive in identifying risks and proposing solutions
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to deal effectively with management at all levels with proven ability to build strong partnerships with colleagues
- Strong analytical and evaluation skills with the ability to evaluate processes and assess the operational and financial impact of findings and control issues, communicate findings and develop recommendations
- A high level of attention to detail and quality assurance to policy and firm guidelines
- Ability to coordinate issues, findings and recommendations with colleagues across regions and/or divisions
- Prior experience in financial services, particularly in the areas of legal or compliance operations
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized, extremely detail and control-oriented
- Proven ability to build strong partnerships with colleagues, desire to be flexible and think strategically
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Project management skills or interest in project management preferred
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, strong interest in learning, effective under pressure and willing to take personal responsibility/accountability