JPMorgan Chase is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management and private equity. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at www.jpmorganchase.com
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase is responsible for the provision of legal services to the Corporation and is organized by Practice Groups that conform to the organization of the Firm’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams to communicate legal and regulatory changes to the businesses and staff areas and for the lines of business and staff areas to communicate business developments that have legal or regulatory implications to the legal teams in a timely manner.
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., is seeking a highly motivated, results-oriented transactional attorney with one to four years of relevant experience to join the JPMorgan Chase & Co. IP, Technology & Privacy Law Group. This attorney will be responsible for structuring, drafting, negotiating and analyzing technology agreements, including software license/support and development, SaaS, hardware purchase/support and professional services agreements and for providing advice with respect to contract, intellectual property and privacy related issues. The attorney will primarily support Asset Wealth Management Technology and the Global Technology Infrastructure (“GTI”) and related business units, but will have exposure to other businesses. Asset Wealth Management Technology supports the systems business groups that serve institutional, ultra high net worth, high net worth and individual clients through our Global Investment Management and Global Wealth Management businesses and GTI manages the acquisition and delivery of the firm’s technology infrastructure products and services worldwide.
The IP, Technology & Privacy Law Group consists of legal professionals who provide legal support for the firm’s technology and other transactions, intellectual property management, third party provider oversight, risk and controls, IP litigation and sourcing and procurement operations. This group is entrepreneurial and innovative in structuring transactions in a way to seek maximum benefit for JPMorgan Chase. This group works closely with the end client, serving as a valuable business partner in addressing risks expeditiously and achieving the client’s goals within the parameters of JPMorgan Chase policy and procedure.
The candidate will primarily:
Structure, draft and negotiate to closing various technology, intellectual property and other agreements, such as software licenses, maintenance agreements, equipment purchase/maintenance agreements, outsourcing agreements and professional services agreements
Provide technology and intellectual property law advice and counsel to the internal clients (e.g., Asset Management or Global Technology Infrastructure) and partners (e.g., line of business Legal, Privacy, Compliance, Risk, Controls, Sourcing)
Review, interpret and analyze agreements with suppliers, advising clients and partners on rights and responsibilities related to those agreements, including in light of JPMorgan Chase policies and regulatory guidance
- Must have at least 5 years of experience practicing law post-JD
- 5+ years of relevant transactional experience in a law firm or corporate law department
- Attorney must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in in the state/jurisdiction in which the position is based or otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of that state/jurisdiction
- In-house experience in the financial services industry and/or technology industry desirable
- Experience in negotiating contracts for transactions with third party providers preferred, including outsourcing, intellectual property licensing, software license, equipment purchase, application service provider, data processing, consulting, professional and other services
- Experience working in large, complex, multi-line of business, regulated client organizations desirable
- Familiarity with privacy, intellectual property, outsourcing, offshoring, contracting and related regulatory and risk environments desirable
- Experience working closely with compliance and controls personnel desirable
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Strong business judgment and strategic thinking
- Flexibility and organizational ability to simultaneously manage various transactions and projects in a high-performance environment
- Excellent communication skills, including for succinctly advising senior management of risks, challenges and potential solutions
- Strong contract drafting and negotiation skills, including advising partners and clients on drafting clear and concise descriptions of business requirements
- Self starter and strong motivator