JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
Legal Department Description:
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation. The department also includes the Office of the Secretary (“OTS”).
Legal is organized by Practice Groups that conform to the organization of the Firm’s lines of business (LOBs) and corporate staff areas, allowing the legal staff to work closely with specific groups on a daily basis. Each line of business has an LOB General Counsel, who is the Practice Group Head and who reports to the Firm’s General Counsel. This structure provides the means for the legal teams to communicate legal and regulatory changes to the businesses and staff areas, and for the LOBs and staff areas to communicate business developments that have legal or regulatory implications to the legal teams in a timely manner.
Legal Chief Operating Office (“Legal COO”) Function Description:
The Legal COO helps attorneys make the best use of their time by providing centralized services and tools to: i) develop professional skills, ii) manage projects and achieve business objectives, iii) optimize processes and technology, and iv) engage and connect employees. Further, the Legal COO helps the Legal Management Team establish and execute the department’s objectives by driving and supporting initiatives to: i) implement firmwide standards and governance, ii) provide financial discipline and risk controls, iii) guide the people agenda and iv) drive best practices.
Legal Practices Group Description:
The Legal Practices Group is part of the Legal COO function. Responsibilities of the Legal Practices Group include:
- Partnering with Legal staff to define, document and redesign policies and procedures; conduct benchmark studies, identify gaps in processes, and monitor action plans; Map Legal obligations to departmental policies and procedures
- Providing operational support across Legal, including real estate management, support for key applications, intranet management, end-user technology management, legal research, publication subscription management, SharePoint development and maintenance, employee on-boarding and off-boarding. In addition, the team provides Concierge support to all Legal employees to resolve technology and other inquiries.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Corporate Function Obligations for Legal is part of the Legal Practices Group of the Legal COO. The group requires experienced individuals with regulatory awareness and background, able to understand the risk to the Firm of non-compliance with laws and regulations. The ideal candidate will work closely with the Office of Legal Obligations (“OLO”) as well as attorneys assisting the OLO known as Assigned Obligation Record Owners (“AORO”) who are throughout the entire Legal department. OLO Legal is the Legal group responsible for oversight and management of the End-to-End Legal and Regulatory Process Program (“Program”). The objective of the Legal and Regulatory Process Program is to design and develop a global, firm-wide, risk-based process to evidence compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations (“Legal Obligations”). Reporting will be made possible by linking an enterprise-wide taxonomy of Legal Obligations to controls that evidence compliance, including policies, self-assessments, training, and monitoring. The Corporate Function Obligations for Legal will be responsible for the connection of the Obligations to Legal’s controls.
The ideal candidate will lead efforts to help all of Legal in all geographies in the effort to connect the Obligations to Legal’s control. This individual will ensure the data is accurately managed throughout these efforts. The individual will support cross-enterprise efforts of lawyers to identify and provide information and documentation necessary to support this effort. The role requires significant cross-functional collaboration, including with line of business lawyers, their Compliance counterparts, as well as counterparts in Risk and Oversight and Controls. The environment is fast-paced, often requiring that issues be addressed rapidly - to ensure the firm stays in compliance with the rapidly-evolving federal, state, and other rules that may apply to our highly regulated industry. The successful candidate must have strong analytical and collaborative skills, be able to work independently and be a true "self-starter."
Primary Responsibilities will include:
Data management for review by Legal subject-matter experts and other Legal groups
Manage workflow and tracking of open items under OLO Program Phase mapping schedule
Perform all data entry and reconciliation between tracking spreadsheets and ELA workflow tool, including inputs from upstream stakeholders (e.g., Compliance/Risk)
Manage and maintain detailed status metrics for all obligations and corresponding dispositions
Facilitate reporting for Central OLO team regarding Legal impact assessment/mapping progress
Occasional research to support special projects, as needed
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience, such as project manager, paralegal or business/research analyst
- Prior experience in financial services regulation, particularly with regard to federal and state regulation of financial products
- Thorough understanding of the business environment
- Structured, disciplined approach
- Analytical, flexible and pragmatic
- Self-driven individual that evidence ownership of function
- Strong communication skills
- Strong experience with Excel, SharePoint and PowerPoint
- All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
- The preferred location for this position is in Jersey City, NJ