JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
Global Technology Infrastructure (GTI) is the technology infrastructure organization for the firm, delivering a wide range of products and services, and partnering with all lines of business to provide high quality service delivery, exceptional project execution and financially disciplined approaches and processes in the most cost effective manner. The objective of GTI is to balance both business alignment and the centralized delivery of core products and services. GTI is designed to address the unique infrastructure needs of specific lines of business and the demand to leverage economies of scale across the firm.
Integrated Compute Services (ICS) within JPMorgan Chase’s Global Technology Infrastructure group develops and operates one of the world’s largest enterprise compute environments providing compute, storage and hosting platforms. The massive scale supports a diversity of business applications to one of the largest banking institutions in the US.
The ICS service is the foundation that other Services will build on top of. The shift to a services based thinking will require implementing the Software Defined Datacenter to enable speed, scale and flexibility to meet the changing business needs. The goals are to abstract, virtualize and orchestrate the end to end process of delivering IT capabilities to the firm.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Physical Server Infrastructure (PSI) Engineering is responsible for producing and maintaining the physical server environment for the IaaS Service. This infrastructure is deployed around the globe in many datacenters and countries supporting the majority of the firms compute. The role includes working with multiple vendor platforms (Intel, Cisco, Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc…), multiple technology types (Traditional rack mount, Converged infrastructure, Appliances, etc..) and multiple toolsets (Scripting, PowerShell, Python, Java, etc..) vCO workflows, vendor APIs, etc..). The PSI team supports both traditional OS (Windows and RHEL Linux) on servers as well as fully virtualized environments and HW appliances working with the appropriate engineering counterparts.
The PSI team is looking for an organized self-motivated individual to join the existing team to act as a Senior Hardware architect. PSI is driven to identify new product offerings to support the numerous use cases and requirements within our infrastructure and to support evolution of the x86 hardware offering within the firm. PSI is always looking for opportunities to enhance, automate and add innovation to any of our existing solutions and services, highlighting, developing and driving these programs to closure are key to the success of this role.This is an experienced team whose perspective is both Service focused for GTI IaaS and customer focused.
This role will be responsible for server and component evaluation, testing, qualifying and contribution to the product selection for existing and future requirements. Industry knowledge of server components (Intel Processors, Intel/Broadcom Nics, Emulex, QLogic, etc…) and accelerators (FusionIO, LSI, etc…) along with the understanding of their impact on system performance is required.
- Development of automation to support active HW management and deployment, including: automated test harness development
- Configuration of Out of Band Management Controllers (iLO, BIOS, etc…)
- Firmware and systems management (e.g. IPMI, SNMP, vendor APIs, etc…); DHCP/PXE boot for active HW management and onward OS builds
- Development and presentation of initial concept, architectural draft, supporting documentations (engineering design, working instructions, BOM, test plans, proposals, pattern standards, proposals, TCO analysis) to the appropriate teams
- Coordination of testing tasks with the upstack OS teams (Windows, Linux and virtualization), Integrating with the IaaS Supply chains, datacenter teams and working with the Operations team to assist in the automation of the maintenance and remediation of the running estate
- A solid understanding of enterprise scale component failure Management/Monitoring/Alerting technics, general storage technologies (SAN/NAS/local), hardware platform security, scripting (Java, Python, Perl, etc..) and automation principals
- Help to define, engineer, test and deploy a world class HW build management platform that is automated and scalable across vendors, datacenters and is OS agnostic.
- Identify and qualify new hardware and component vendors and models
- Understand the impact of new technologies to the compute landscape, how they should be utilized and when is the appropriate time to adopt them
- Learn our process and procedures including release management, production integration services and product supply chain
- Help to enhance the IaaS HW API stack to enable vendor neutrality and drive a true commodity mindset
- Certification of new or existing products used on Linux, Windows and VMWare
- Manage and prioritize with other team members, support and enhancement requests
- Integration and maintenance of automated HW monitoring, management and alerting strategies at the BIOS, firmware and driver level
- Collaborate with and escalate to OS Engineering and Support teams to resolve issues when needed to investigate, triage, and debug hardware and system level issues down to component / firmware level
- Respond to hardware/software Cyber related events and requests quickly and urgently
- Maintain and document core standards and procedures by maintaining and extending documentation on our customer facing sites (Wiki, SharePoint, etc..)
- Propose new concepts/solutions or research projects to team and IaaS engineering teams
- Collaborate with other teams and customers to identify requirements, align with existing service offerings and the development of new solutions or services
- Attend one or two training classes and year to further enhance your skills and knowledge
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical field.
- 7+ years of common compute HW (HP, Dell, IBM/Lenovo, etc..)
- 3+ years scripting with Ansible, Java, Bash, Python and/or Perl
- Experience with enterprise class IT tools
- Good team ethics
- Know what it takes to make a successful team
- Advanced level understanding of x86 Hardware, components, BIOS/Firmware management
- Advanced understanding of x86 Hardware scripted HW Automations
- Strong Ansible, CFEngine, Puppet or similar
- Strong understanding of network DHCP/PXE boot chaining
- Stronge skills with Ansible, CFEngine, Puppet or similar
Strong understanding of x86 Hardware Monitoring and Management tools
- Strong experience in Deploying and Operating Linux, UNIX and/or Windows at the SA level with a strong bias towards automated deployment and operations experiences
- Detailed understanding of source code management practices (GIT/SVN)
- Good understanding of Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Good understanding of Windows Enterprise Server
- Good understanding of VMWare Enterprise Server
- Good understanding of Ansible, Bash, Python, PERL, Shell Scripting, PowerShell and vendor APIs
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Good understanding of Configuration Management
- Ability to work and communicate well with a global engineering team, support and customer base
- Ability to innovate and evolve solutions