JP Morgan Asset Management Inc. (JPMAM) manages employee benefit plans for public and private institutional investors and provides investment management services for a broad spectrum of other institutional investors including foundations, endowments, sovereign governments, defined contribution plans and insurance companies, as well as other institutional and individual investors through mutual funds, investment partnerships and other pooled investment vehicles.
JPMAM is an active participant in the global equity, fixed income, emerging, and currency markets as well as in real estate, infrastructure, oil and gas, and the futures and options markets.
Asset Management offers fully managed investment advisory services to individual clients on a global basis through JP Morgan’s Private Client Group.
The Infrastructure Investment Fund (IIF) advised by the Infrastructure Investments Group at JPMAM (IIG) identifies, analyzes, acquires and manages infrastructure and infrastructure-related assets located generally in member countries of the Organisations for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD). IIG also assesses capital markets and controls investment risk in determining the optimal financing, diversification and disposition strategies for the managed assets.
The Fund Execution Team of IIG seeks a qualified attorney for an Executive Director position providing legal and strategic counsel on all aspects of infrastructure acquisitions and asset management as well as regulatory matters affecting IIF.
The Executive Director will work closely with internal legal and compliance departments, external counsel and other advisors and report to the Head of Fund Execution Team.
Work with IIG team, portfolio company management and boards, outside counsel and JPMAM stakeholders to bridge the commercial and legal discourse
Ensure appropriate governance, consistency and best practices in partnership agreements, including shareholder, joint venture and co-invest agreements
Ensure IIF’s risk mandate is properly reflected in acquisition agreements and ancillary agreements
Actively participate in financing negotiations, bank and project financing, to ensure sharing of best practices, consistency of obligations and risk transfer and facilitate IIF relationships within commercial and legal financing communities
Provide a long-term view regarding the benefits/obligations of various ancillary agreements (transition services, O&M, etc)
Identify and work with relevant JPM stakeholders to solve potential compliance, legal, regulatory and corruption issues in transactions
Engage with IIG and portfolio company boards and management to ensure continuous business improvement in asset management, including governance, risk management, policies and procedures, ESG matters, risk, legal/compliance, regulatory and audit and formalize/streamline reporting
Facilitate streamlined compliance with broader JPMAM requirements
Legal degree or equivalent training; Admission to State Bar, NY preferred
- Qualified to practice law
- 10-15 years of experience required (some in-house experience preferred)
- Extensive Project Finance or M&A experience
- Industry focus: Infrastructure preferred
- Some experience with fund level regulatory compliance a plus
- Regularly reports status of work to ensure issues are resolved and deadlines met
- Provides clear instruction on all expected deliverables
- Oral and written communications are clear and concise
- Drives the solution between legal and commercial needs
- Proactively determines needs and ensures they are met
- Works effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines
- Takes initiative while seeking appropriate guidance
- Effectively handles multiple demands and competing priorities
- Organizes workload effectively
- Demonstrates commitment to department and organizational objectives
- Works collaboratively with different departments/groups to achieve firm objectives
- Ability to organize and maintain third party relationships
This role is not a practicing attorney position at JPMorgan Chase.