JPMorgan Chase & Co - India based Investment Banking-Equity Capital Markets Lawyer Brief
Vice President – Legal, India
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in the financial services industry with strong positions across each of its major businesses and offering intelligent solutions across comprehensive and cutting edge global product platforms. You will be surrounded by smart, driven people like yourself, who in line with the highest standards of integrity, combine innovation and analysis to achieve industry leading results and recognition in accordance with the business principles fundamental to our success.
J.P. Morgan's footprint in India comprises of dynamic businesses under these groups, which include the following:
Investment Banking: J.P. Morgan is a leading player in this segment and provides full-service capital raising and risk management (equity capital markets and debt capital markets), mergers & acquisitions advisory, divestitures and restructuring advice.
Global Corporate Bank (GCB): GCB in India manages the firm's relationships with large local and MNC corporations, financial institutions and public sector organizations.
Treasury Services: J.P. Morgan is a full-service provider of cash management, liquidity and trade solutions to financial institutions, MNC corporations and local corporations in India. J.P. Morgan is a leading clearing bank for major currencies like USD and EUR.
Market & Investor Services:
Fixed Income: J.P. Morgan is a top-tier market participant for the interest rate swap market in India. J.P. Morgan has been a market maker for FX, Forwards, swaps and other financial products in the foreign exchange and fixed income space.
Cash Equities and F&O: Solutions include offering institutional investors, client trade execution services across BSE & NSE, High Touch & Direct Market Access, fundamental research and sales services on equities and derivatives and clearing services.
Investor Services: J.P. Morgan provides Direct Custody & Clearing Services mainly to Inbound Foreign Institutional Investors & Sub-accounts, Foreign Direct Investors and Foreign Venture Capital Investors. J.P. Morgan also provides Custody, Clearing Services and Fund Accounting services to domestic Mutual Funds in India
The Asia Pacific Legal Department supports the full range of the Firm's business in the region. It is split into regional practice groups (based in Hong Kong/Singapore), which are aligned to each principal line of business and location teams which specialize in the specifics of the legal and regulatory environment of the jurisdiction in which each is situated. Legal support is provided by a combination of regional teams and location teams.
The Asia Pacific Legal Department is seeking to hire a highly motivated and experienced lawyer to provide advisory and transactional support to Firm’s Investment Banking-Equity Capital Markets (ECM) business. This position provides an excellent opportunity for the successful candidate to build an exciting career in a leading global investment bank and to play a key part in managing legal risks for J.P. Morgan in the fast-growing APAC region. The position is based in Mumbai.
You will provide legal advisory to the business groups and other stakeholders. You will focus on India, but will be required to ensure a consistent approach with elements of our global and regional policies and standards.
The position reports to the Head of Legal in India.
To partner with and provide legal support and advice to the Firm’s ECM business, with a primary focus on India and transactions involving Indian companies. This lawyer will assist in both advisory and transactional mandates.
In particular, your responsibilities will include:
- providing legal support to the ECM business, with a primary focus on India and transactions involving Indian companies
- providing legal support to other investment banking business including M&A and Corporate Finance businesses
- reviewing, negotiating and assisting with drafting of underwriting and related documentation
- assisting the business with deal structuring and terms from a legal and risk perspective
- advising management and other functional partners on legal and regulatory issues generally
- instructing and working with external counsel, reviewing and negotiating legal opinions and supervising the legal due diligence involving the business and transactions
- developing and maintaining client and service provider relationships, co-coordinating with other risk management areas of J.P. Morgan, including the Compliance department
- coordinating and liaising with business and product and services specialists as well as within legal both regionally and globally
- providing legal analysis in relation to new business initiatives and products
- participating in product and industry working group calls and meetings
- assisting in the review and development of legal forms, policies, procedures and systems
- participating actively in product legal department initiatives including regulatory review and other projects
- Indian law qualified with at least 8 years of equity capital markets experience (optimally, a combination of experience as in-house counsel in the financial services industry and as a lawyer in a top tier law firm)
- Good drafting, negotiation and legal analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with senior business personnel and stakeholders in other functions
- Able to appreciate and grasp concepts of law from jurisdictions other than India
- Ability to identify and escalate issues in a timely and appropriately manner
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and respond to business needs and goals
- Ability to adapt and apply legal skills in new businesses and subjects in which lawyer may not have expertise