J.P. Morgan Asset & Wealth Management, with client assets of $2.8 trillion, is a global leader in investment and wealth management. Its clients include institutions, high-net-worth individuals and retail investors in every major market throughout the world. The division offers investment management across all major asset classes including equities, fixed income, alternatives, multi-asset and money market funds. For individual investors, the business also provides retirement products and services, brokerage and banking services including trusts and estates, loans, mortgages and deposits.
Managed Solutions & Strategy (MSS) manages discretionary investment strategies and performs manager due diligence for clients across J.P. Morgan Global Wealth Management (GWM) and Chase Wealth Management (CWM). Discretionary investment offerings include multi-asset, single asset class and alternative strategies offered through individual accounts and private and registered funds. MSS performs due diligence on traditional and alternative asset class managers, including mutual funds, hedge funds, private equity and real estate.
The MSS Specialized Strategies Team (SST) is responsible for delivering client solutions across managed equities, customized bond portfolios and multi-asset offerings. Assets under management of the Specialized Strategies Team are over 75 billion dollars. The portfolios are actively managed with clear mandates reflecting portfolio characteristics, return, and/or risk objectives.
The role will be responsible for supporting:
The role will be embedded within two multi-asset portfolio management teams and will be integral to the continued evolution of our complete investment process and portfolio management activities.
Portfolios the candidate would support include Dynamic Multi Asset strategy, a benchmark agnostic multi-asset strategy (e.g. equities, fixed income, alternatives) that manages to an explicit risk and return target, and Absolute Return Fixed income, which focuses on unconstrained bond investing.
The candidate will work closely with Portfolio Managers on research, analytics and alpha generation in the investment decision making process. The role is a critical bridge between the top-down fundamental approach of our investment process and the robust quantitative framework that supports our implementation decisions and portfolio construction practices. The team relies on this role to quickly compile ad hoc analyses, spanning across multiple asset classes and topics. Coding (VBA and/or Matlab) and an understanding of regression modelling, and factor analysis is preferred.
Given the benchmark-agnostic investment mandate, the team embraces novelty within this role, particularly around identifying new areas of investment opportunity. As a result, a candidate for this role should have the ability to identify, synthesize and organize multiple sources of data while also being able to communicate the key findings of his/her analysis in a clear and succinct manner.
The ideal candidate profile:
The desired team member must be willing and eager to tackle stretch projects. This requires impressive organization skills, extreme attention to detail, as well as efficient/effective verbal and written communication. A passion for markets, a willingness to challenge conventional thinking and avoid group think, as well as a strong desire to take initiative on new research topics are all desirable attributes for this role.
Responsibilities and expectations include:
- Prior emphasis in research and investigation proving qualitative and quantitative deliverables in areas such as capital markets (e.g. global rates, currencies, equities), and funds (e.g. hedge funds, traditional funds and ETFs).
- Demonstrated interest in investing and portfolio management with a passion for global markets. Candidate must have broad knowledge of capital markets, investments, portfolio construction and portfolio management.
- Strong quantitative aptitude and analytical skills, preferably honed both through academic and on the job
- Understanding of statistics and their application to portfolio construction. For example, the ability to construct, interpret and explain regression models across asset classes and macro-economic variables
- Experience in data analytics and preference for programming/coding skills. Knowledge of market fundamentals and economics
- Accuracy, precision, and attention to detail are needed, as well as an ability to work under pressure
- Ability to identify, synthesize and organize multiple sources of data and present findings in an organized and marketable fashion
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity, a strong work ethic and team player mentality are required
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are critical as the candidate will be required to work as a team player on a highly visible and demanding global investments team.
- Proficiency with PowerPoint is required