JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of over $2 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
Commercial Banking (CB) delivers extensive industry knowledge, local expertise and seamless global capabilities to clients—including corporations, municipalities, financial institutions, real estate investors and owners, and not-for-profit organizations—with annual revenue generally ranging from $20 million to $2 billion. We offer a comprehensive set of financial products and services including credit, asset-based lending, real estate finance and treasury. We also provide clients with access to investment banking and asset management services.
Middle Market Banking & Specialized Industries (MMBSI) is a Commercial Banking business located in approximately 100 offices across the US and Canada. MMBSI provides credit, cash management, capital markets and corporate finance advisory solutions to corporations, municipalities and not-for-profit entities via our Core Banking or Specialized Industries teams.
Middle Market Banking & Specialized Industries – Sr. Business Manager - ED
The MMBSI Business Management team is responsible for the development, organization and execution of strategic and tactical initiatives to grow and manage the business. Partnering closely with senior leaders and cross functional teams within MMBSI and across CB, the team helps drive key initiatives, continuous process improvement throughout all aspects of the business and ensures that MMBSI’s complex and evolving business runs smoothly. MMBSI Business Management is part of the broader CB Business Management function within CB Finance.
The Sr. Business Manager is a highly visible position and will be filled by a candidate with exceptional drive and energy, who has solid analytical and financial skills, hands-on experience in banking, strategy and business development, strong verbal and written communications skills, and the organizational agility to influence decisions in a highly decentralized organization.
This role will focus on the West Segment of MMBSI with accountability to Head of West Middle Market Banking. Role represents an excellent opportunity for candidates to:
- Gain a high level of visibility into West Middle Market, MMBSI, and CB as a whole
- Be exposed to and directly influence the agendas of the leadership team
- Develop expertise in a variety of functions and businesses across CB
- Manage a team of Business Management Associates and build leadership skills.
- Advance to other roles in the MMBSI, CB, Global Finance or elsewhere in the organization
Development, organization, communication and execution of strategic and tactical initiatives to grow and manage the business
- Support the MMBSI West Segment Leadership team as well as the MMBSI CFO on various initiatives related to business strategy, reporting, data quality, communications, technology, real estate and more.
- Help drive region manager and banker engagement in MMBSI initiatives
- Understand and communicate the Segment and Region financial results including opportunities for improvement
- Represent and advocate for MMBSI in various Commercial Banking and cross LOB projects
Drive and operationalize key initiatives
- Assist in identifying the right resources, content experts and decision makers to complete projects and meet goals
- Develop and manage overall project plans including, tasks, milestones, staffing and deliverables
- Provide value-added support of ongoing business-specific requirements, such as sales enablement, as needed
Drive continuous process improvement throughout all aspects of the business
- Leverage broad understanding of the business and BMA’s to identify opportunities for process improvement and enhanced efficiencies
- Contribute to the development and implementation of best practices, project standards and procedures for MMBSI Business Management team
Help drive overall CB Finance and Business Management agenda
- Enhance the quality of our sales and client data
- Deliver analytics and insight by leveraging best in class business intelligence, reporting resources and technology
- Contribute to the development of the junior talent program
Key Skills Required
- Execution and project management skills – Well-developed organizational skills to manage multiple projects and priorities. Scope projects and create workable project plans. Must be self-directed with the ability to explore innovative ways to perform tasks in an efficient and timely manner. Must be proactive, high energy, detail and results-oriented, and willing to drive change. Strong organizational and time management skills; flexibility, ability to prioritize requests and multi-task
- Leadership and interpersonal skills – Must be able to interact and influence colleagues at all levels in the business. Able to collaborate with peer team members across business and staff areas at all levels, and achieve goals without direct control over all resources. Must have flexible work style and be able to develop junior colleagues within the team
- Management skills – Able to manage and develop a team of 5-7 associate and VP level employees
- Communications skills – Must possess strong verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to synthesize “the story” for executive-level audiences and adjust messages and style based on different audiences and agendas
- Problem solving skills – Strong analytical capabilities coupled with the ability to identify issues, gather and manipulate data, obtain consensus and implement change
- Financial Acumen – Must have a solid understanding of financial results of the business and be able identify and communicate key trends. Preferable has had some finance experience the finance industry.
- Technical and analytical skills – Able to produce accurate, error-free analysis. Understand business drivers and ensure that the team’s analyses are sound
- 8+ years of relevant experience in banking, finance, strategy development, program management and/or business management or other similar role, preferably with knowledge of wholesale banking
- Knowledge of Commercial Banking, Treasury Services and/or Investment Banking
- Familiarity with internal J.P. Morgan wholesale banking systems (e.g. iBanker, Client Central, CKC)
- A track record demonstrating a high level of personal initiative, setting and achieving challenging goals, and demonstrating entrepreneurial leadership
- Demonstrated high level of performance evidenced through annual reviews and recommendations
- Some experience with managing employees is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA preferred