J.P. Morgan Asset & Wealth Management, with client assets of $2.4 trillion, is a global leader in investment and wealth management. Its clients include institutions, high-net-worth individuals and retail investors in every major market throughout the world. The division offers investment management across all major asset classes including equities, fixed income, alternatives, multi-asset and money market funds. For individual investors, the business also provides retirement products and services, brokerage and banking services including trusts and estates, loans, mortgages and deposits.
About the Alternative Investments Group
Within J.P. Morgan Wealth Management, the Alternative Investments Group (“AIG”) consists of experienced professionals based in New York, Hong Kong, Singapore, London and Geneva whose goal is to identify, develop, and bring to J.P. Morgan’s private clients a diverse array of attractive alternative investment opportunities. The team looks broadly across private equity, real estate and hedge funds, and since inception in 1992, has brought over 250 investment opportunities to J.P. Morgan’s private clients, endowments and foundations. With over $110 billion of client capital, the team brings a unique perspective and best in class approach to sourcing, structuring, developing, and offering alternative investment opportunities.
Description of Position
The Alternative Investments Tax Team is positioned within the Alternative Funds Management group (“Funds Management”), rolls up into the Investments Solutions organization, supports the AIG, and is responsible for overseeing the all U.S. and international tax reporting for over 250 private equity funds of funds, hedge fund of funds, hedge funds, real estate funds, and multi-asset class funds totaling over $45Bn in AUM.
The J.P. Morgan Private Bank is seeking to hire a highly-motivated individual to become a member of the Alternative Investment Tax team based in New York, with split reporting to Vice Presidents of the team and the Tax Director. This position will support all tax aspects and engagements for the Private Bank’s single asset fund and discretionary fund real estate business, and additionally supporting various tax regimes including U.S., German, U.K., French, Swiss, Danish and Canadian tax as well as FATCA and Common Reporting Standard (“CRS”). Primary responsibilities include reviewing tax work papers and filings prepared by third-party tax advisors, preparing tax provisions, discussing tax technical issues with third-party fund managers and tax advisors, planning tax engagements, management of third-party tax advisors, ensuring timely receipt of information necessary to prepare tax filings and answering client tax questions. Additional responsibilities include enhancing operational controls, supporting new business launches and customized Alternatives offerings, participation in platform governance, as well as other special projects and strategic initiatives led by the Tax team. The position requires significant problem-solving and organization skills.
The position involves interaction and coordination with the Private Bank’s third-party U.S. and international tax advisors, administrators and fund managers, as well as various teams within the JPMorgan, including Corporate Tax (U.S. and international), Funds Control, Structuring, Marketing, Investor Relations, the Middle Office, Legal, Tax Operations and the global sales force.
- At least 3 years U.S. federal tax experience related to real estate funds required
- At least 2 years U.S. federal tax experience related to private equity or hedge funds required
- Partnership tax experience required
- Tax Provision experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required
- Masters in Tax and/or CPA preferred
- Working knowledge of FATCA and CRS preferred
- Knowledge of German and U.K. tax preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills required
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective presentation abilities required
- Ability to work proactively and learn independently required
- Strong organization skills required
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment required
- Excellent time management skills required
- Strong Microsoft Excel (sums, pivot tables, vlookups, data manipulation) and Word skills required
- Proficiency with PowerPoint preferred